Early childhood education
The municipality of Inari provides early childhood education and care for all children who are under school age. The right to early childhood education and care begins after the end of the parental allowance period and continues until the child enters basic education.
The operating idea for early childhood education and care is to offer children a good and safe place of care where the child enjoys being and which supports the child's balanced growth, development and learning.
Early childhood education and care services include early childhood education in Finnish and Sámi, Skolt Sámi language nest activities, procurement services for Inari Sámi language nest activities, the child care allowance and its municipal supplements as well as pre-primary education in the Saariselkä area.
There are several municipal childcare centres in Inari, the main ones are:
If you have a Finnish municipality of residence, your children qualify for at least 20 hours of day care per week, or more according to need. The Early Childhood Education Office is located in the town hall Piiskuntie 2, 99800 Ivalo. If possible, you are required to apply for a place in the childcare centre at least 4 month in advance. Registration forms in English can be obtained from the town hall and registration forms in Finnish also from the library or at www.inari.fi. If you need assistance with your application, please contact the Early Childhood Education Office at +358 40 702 4414 or +358 40-726 3553.
Guidelines for parents with children already registered for day care
- Please make sure to bring and pick-up your child on time. Our employees may have their own obligations and children of their own that need looking after.
- Do not bring your child to day-care if they are sick! After recovery, keep your child at home for one more day to ensure full recovery.
- As an employee in Finland, you are entitled to payed absence of up to four days if your child is sick and under 12 years of age.
- If your child doesn't need day care anymore, let us know as soon as possible.
- If the period of absence lasts for 7 days or more, and you let us know at least 4 weeks in advance, you are applicable for a refund on child care fees for the duration of the absence.
- Prescribed medication can be administered by day care staff only if adequate documentation is presented, and parents sign a written consent.
- If your child has food allergies, we ask you to present a doctors certificate no later than 2 weeks after the day care centre has been informed about the allergy.
- When bringing your child to day care, pack seasonally adequate outdoor clothing, an extra set of clothing and a soft toy for naptime.
- Label your child’s clothes and personal belongings clearly.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult when arriving at the day care centre.
- Please inform us if someone else, but a parent is picking up your child (must be at least 18 years of age)